Friday, June 15, 2018

Hey God, It was good to hear from you..

Hey God,

It was good to year from you.

Your quiet whisper in the night.

Your message on the sign.

That song.

The gentle reminder of what's important.

And simple joys you give my heart.

Thank You, Lord.

I needed this reprieve.

The last few months went by in such a blur.

It was everything we ever talked about.

All that played inside my mind.

And it is still at the forefront.

But somehow, it is different...

When I lean on you.

My patience.

It grows stronger.

My love.

It grows deeper.

My faith.

It goes further still.

****

This is life right now. I feel like I am living it in abundance. I am loving even the challenges. Despite the fact that my 19 month old lost it at the store, God has given me a heart full of patience over the last 10 years. It doesn't even bother me. I'm calm as I hold her close and tell her that we can talk when she is done screaming. Or nurse if she needs to. The stares from others are met with a nod and an understanding smile, as I wait for my child to recenter herself. Despite the fact that it was late when my 9 year old cried herself to sleep last night, over hardships, life, and friendships. God gave me a renewed energy. To stay awake and show my love and listen while she shared her heart with me through the night. For that, I am thankful. Despite the fact that my two sweet sisters have presented challenges to me that I have never handled before, things such as attachment issues and a constant need for discipline, God has given me the emotional energy to set up the tent every Saturday night, play games, do devotion, and laugh with all my girls until midnight. It is worth every second. We have been baking, gardening, playing games, reading aloud, and enjoying nature.

I have always wanted my children to have memories of cuddling up and reading together, eating brownies and drinking homemade lemonade, laying in hammocks together and looking at the clouds, biking trails at the local parks....the warm fuzzies. And although the warm fuzzies  might look a little different right now, I am thankful for the opportunity to share our life with someone else.

I am reading Life Giving Home along with a friend. I'm not too far in. But the author makes a point when she talks about what to do when others enter our homes. Give. We we should give everything to them. Whatever they need in their lives should be provided to them when they are within the walls of our home. Not grudgingly, but joyfully. Tea? Books? A listening ear? What can we do to make others feel like a loved and cared for child of God? How can we let God's light shine through us fully and completely? Do we show our guests scripture? Do we share our life story with someone who needs to hear it? Do we show them what it means to be empathetic, generous, or faithful?

What can we do to ensure God shines through us as brightly as he can?

I've refocusedy attention on purposeful prayer and scripture reading.  I've ditched Facebook, TV, pointless web surfing, and sent over 1,500 less text messages a month. Suddenly, I realize I have the strength, power, energy, and patience to do everything I need to do, and more.

No comments:

Post a Comment