Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Things I Do/DON'T Like About Owning a House! And Christmas

Do: 

1. I DO Love that I can decorate how I want and paint how we want, and get rid of the carpet and such like we want-as money permits. (Which, I can't wait until income tax!) 

2. I DO Love that we are not wasting our money renting. (But when I think about it, we weren't technically wasting. We were investing in a stable rental history which helped us get the house, even thought the landlord didn't want to cooperate.)

3. I DO Love that we have more room-a basement for Jessie. A garage for our cars. Three bedrooms. Etc. It it roomy enough for us, and I don't see us ever NEEDING to add on.

4. And lastly, I Love that I DO NOT HAVE TO ANSWER TO BRIAN! Sam can run and scream all day long if I let her. She can explore like a kid and play with her friends and I don't ever have to hear pounding on the ceiling or get repetitive phone calls!!! 

Don't: 

1. I DON'T like when things break, which hasn't been too too bad so far. Just having to fix the water heater, a small leak, stuff like that. 

2. I DON'T like that we have giant poisonous spiders around the house because of the woods and that we have mice in the basement now because of the cold! (I sent the cat down there today, and it chased them around and scared them a bit, but that is it.) 

3. I DON'T like that we have to take care of our own yard. lol 

4. Taxes and Insurance kinda suck too, but because our mortgage is less than our rent was, it almost evens out. 

So basically, I don't like that we are responsible for everything that we weren't in the apartment-repairs, pest control, yard work, which I know we knew when we bought the house, but it is taking some getting used to. In a nut shell, this post is a vent about the mice in our basement! We have to get those things gone! They have me paranoid. 

Small Update on Christmas: 

As my Aunt puts it, I am not sure if this makes Jessie a good Dad or if it just makes him crazy...He is volunteering to work next weekend so we can get Sam an iPod touch for Christmas. I feel terrible that we aren't going to get her that castle. I still wrestle with weather or not we should, and if it breaks, it breaks. But she has been begging for an iPhone, which we are not getting her, so we are going to get her the next best thing! This way, I can download apps for her based on her current interests. (I Love her Leap Pad still, and it is great for her to play long games about spelling and addition and subtraction and everything, but this will be nice because if she wants to learn spanish or get an app about Space, I can download one for free or for .99 cents and it will be a quick learning tool for her to supplement what we are already doing...HOWEVER, I have to be careful not to overdo it with the technology. It is very important to me that 1. I continue to be a part of her learning, and handing her the iPhone or Leap Pad in the car will be an easy way for me to stop being involved, and I do not want that. and 2. I want her to use conventional ways of learning. Board games, learning tools like the butterfly garden, toys, GOING OUTSIDE! There is nothing that can replace that. 

The rest of what we are going to get her for Christmas: 1. The Cinderella Carriage I Posted About 2. Camouflage TShirt 3. MAYBE a Bow and Arrow (We may wait until turkey season and just get it then.) 4. Mrs. Potato Head and 5. Bowling Game (All it is is pins and a ball, but Sam fell in love with it at the store. And it makes me happy that she doesn't want something that has to do with technology or princesses. lol) that doesn't include the games and other stuff I bought back in September. We are actually spending way more on her than I originally planned, but Jessie thinks she has to have everything! 

For Christmas activities so far, Jessie is taking vacation a little after Thanksgiving, so we are going to take Sam to River City Pottery, which she has been begging to go to for awhile now, and we are going to let her paint an ornament for the tree. We are also going to paint an ornament for us and do a family ornament there this year instead of the stand at the mall. I think it'll be super cute! Then that night, which will probably be the Tuesday after Thanksgiving, we will go to Weaver's Tree Farm to get our tree. 

As usually, we are going to the "Christmas House" Christina mentioned. Jessie and I are also going to go on a date. We are just going to take the Mustang and drive around and look at lights, probably grab Krystals and something seasonal Starbucks while we ride around. I figure it'll be a nice affordable date. 

And of course she has all her dance stuff. So far that is all I have planned aside from the usual Christmas Eve/ Christmas festivities. 

I want to find something like the Bethlehem walk that a church around here used to do. It was a little set up they had that looked like Bethlehem with actors (from the church) telling the story of Jesus's birth. At church and at home we will do a few activities like that, but I want to do one big thing like that to help her visualize it. I am really hoping my church does a Christmas play or manger scene like they mentioned about a month ago. And then I also want her to participate in a toy drive or something. I need to get on researching that. I have just been so busy, so I guess I will stop posting and go look into that stuff. 

No comments:

Post a Comment