Thursday, October 25, 2012

Just a Little Excitement...

For my "records." 

After watching Business of Being Born and Pregnant in America, introduced to me by Mrs. Christina. :) I was inspired to look more into getting a midwife this time around-when it happens. 

Before I watched that movie, I had considered one at a doctor's office, because I didn't know they still had REAL ones. The only thing was, I knew the followed doctor protocol, and I didn't want to go by that. I even made a post on CafeMom asking about how it works if you basically tell the doctor you just want the routine examination (measuring and such), minus all the "invasive" procedures-the blood work, the testing, the "checks." Maybe not the ultrasounds. I am sure I have mentioned how I feel about those. I basically just want to do know everything is going well, without everything else. But everybody kept tell me that would irritate the doctor and they may not accept me as a patient. 

So, back to what I was saying, Jessie and I discussed it, and he has agreed, somewhat reluctantly, but just to make me happy, to do a homebirth, or at least really look into it. The only problem I had was money. I spoke with the few midwives int the area, and with the assistance fee, prenatal home visits, labor/delivery, and post partum check ups (including lactation consultation), it all adds up to $3,000. (They do not accept insurance.) That is not bad! But I do not have $3,000 and they usually want the money-from what I hear, by time the baby is born. (We wanted to try and use income tax the next year to pay for it.)

SOOOO....I applied for a credit card. lol We already have one with a $1,200 limit. We generally use it for groceries, and then pay it off when Jessie gets paid. Or if there is an outing we have to pay for in advance, but we won't have the money until after the money is due, we will use it. Jessie has TRIED to get us in trouble with it before, but I always manage to dig us out the next month and get it back to zero. lol He no longer gets the card, for anything. 

We kept getting an offer in the mail for a Discover Card every since we bought the house. It has a 0% APR for 15 months, and then after that it is 21%. No annual fee. So I figure I'd better apply before the house purchase hits our credit and brings down his score. (Yah, apparently they wait 30 days after the first payment because if we default in the first 3 months, they take it back.) So anyway, I applied, and we were approved for $2,000! Which means, even if for some reason we are not able to pay $100.00 a month from his check like I have budgeted, we will still be able to get a midwife, if we chose and just pay it off with the next year's income tax! I am so excited! (Right now it is between that and the birthing center/the midwives there. I will do more research when the time comes, but it is good to know we at least have options.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment